Laminate surfaces resist staining from most household chemicals. With some accidental spills however, prompt action is eesential. Wipe off beetroot, grape and berry juice, first aid preperations, concentrated bleach, oven cleaners, dshwasher detergents, artifical dyes, hair colouring and solvent based pen inks immediately. Specialty glues such as super glue most be removed straight away with acetone (nail polish remover).
If the stain wont budge with Extra Stength Windex, try methalated spirits or dab the stain with a diluted bleach mixture (1 part bleach to 8 parts water); leave on for 3 minutes the wash off with water ad dry. Finish off with Extra Strength Windex. Only as a last resort, if a stain persists, try 2 -3 rubs with a creme cleanser or white toothpaste, wash and dry. Please note that bleach or these abrasive cleaners may irreversibly damage the laminate surface.
Laminate surfaces will withstand normal wear and tear, but can be damaged by scratching or cutting with utensils, knives and unglazed pottery. Darker colours will show scratches more readily than lighter colours. In general, dark colours and high gloss surfaces require more care and maintenance than lighter or lower gloss colours. To minimise scratching always place and lift objects from the surface – never drag or slide them accross the surface.
Clean stone surfaces with a few drops of neutral cleaner or a mild (NOT CONCENTRATED) dishwashing detergent & warm water. Always use a clean, soft rag for best results. Remember that too much cleaner or detergent may leave a film & cause streaks. DO NOT use products that contain any citrus, lemon, vinegar or other acids on the granite / stone as the high acidic content may etch the surface. Rinse the surface thoroughly with a damp cloth after washing with the soap solution. Dry with a soft cloth. DO NOT use scouring powders or creams as these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface.
Blot up any spills immediately, as the stone is porous & strong liquids may penetrate the pores. To remove adhered materials like food or gum, first GENTLY scrape away the excess with a sharp blade. If there are any grey metal marks left on the surface, a small amount of Jif will remove them. Don’t use vinegar, citrus, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids.Don’t use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub & tile cleaners. Don’t ever use bleach or ammonia on any granite / stone surfaces. As with any surface, granite & marble can be permanently damaged by exposure to strong chemicals & solvents that undermine its physical properties. Do not use products that contain trichlorethane or methylene chloride, such as paint removers or strippers. Should the surface be accidentally exposed to any of these damaging products, rinse immediately with water to neutralize the effect.
Granite/ stone can tolerate moderately hot temperatures for brief periods of time without warping, discolouring or otherwise being damaged. Care should be taken to avoid direct contact for a long time. Remember it is heat RESISTANT – NOT heat PROOF. Never put a hot pot or pan direct from the stove or oven on the top, as the stone is very cold & may cause the stone to crack.